What is infertility?
The term ‘infertility’ is generally used for the couples who fail to conceive following one year of unprotected sexual intercourse. ‘Sterility’ is a term used for couples who have no chance of having children.
Infertility is a problem that affects 15-20 % of couples. That is to say, one couple in every 6-7 cannot conceive and they have to get medical help.
In the 85 % of infertile couples, there is a cause related to the woman or man. In the rest 15 %, pregnancy does not happen although all the tests are normal. This group is defined as ‘unexplained infertility’. Infertile couples must also recognize that infertility treatment does not produce immediate results, and with patience, a positive attitude and appropriate treatment, most infertile couples can eventually become parents with today’s modern techniques. The examination of the infertile couples is carried out in a concurrent and entire way on the basis of the studies aiming to solve the problems in women and men. When the information obtained is not clear enough, more sophisticated tests are applied to find out the cause of infertility and to increase the possibility of the couple’s conception.